- School School of Engineering and Technology
- Department/Programme BSc
Dr. Sarabjot Singh Anand has been involved in the field of Machine Learning since the early 1990s having worked on developing algorithms, applying them to real-world problems and training a host of data scientists in the capacity of being an academic and entrepreneur.
In 1998 he co-founded MineIT Software Ltd, in the UK, playing the role of Chief Technology Officer managing the Product vision and research initiatives within the company. The company built partnerships with the like of SPSS who OEMed the company’s sequence pattern discovery algorithm as well as innovative products that won the company accolades such as the European IST Grand Prize (2001), New Company of the Year Award from the Northern Ireland Software Industry Federation (2001) and Product of the Year Award at the 6th Information Management Awards (2001).
In 2003, Dr. Anand moved back to academia to pursue his research interests but remained active as a consultant working with businesses to unlock business value from their data assets.
He has published over 90 academic papers on machine learning while he was an Associate Professor at the University of Warwick and previous academic posts in the United Kingdom. He has used these algorithms to develop solutions in areas as diverse as pay-per-click optimization, recommender systems, prognostic models for chronic illnesses, diver monitoring using CAN bus data, cross-selling and up-selling products in financial retail, churn prediction, house price prediction for the Telecoms, Financial, Retail, Automotive, Manufacturing and Public Sector. His first startup in Ireland won the European IST prize amongst other technology accolades.
Dr. Anand moved back to India in 2012 and co-founded Tatras Data. In 2018 he co-founded Sabudh Foundation in Mohali, Panjab to train engineering students in Machine Learning and to work on social problems in education, farming, governance and healthcare. Dr. Anand is currently adjunct faculty at IISER, Mohali and BML Munjal University.
- Graduation In: B.A. Honors in Mathematics
- Graduation From: Hindu College Delhi University
- Graduation Year: 1990
- Post Graduation In: MSc. in Engineering Computation
- Post Graduation From: Queen’s University of Belfast, Northern Ireland
- Post Graduation Year: 1991
- Doctorate In: Ph.D. in Computer Science
- Doctorate From: University of Ulster, Northern Ireland
- Doctorate Year: 2000
|From - To (Year)||Designation & Organization||Core Competency||Additinal Exp. Details|
|1996-97||Research Fellow, Advanced Knowledge Based Systems, Northern Ireland Knowledge Engineering Laboratory (NIKEL), Northern Ireland||Technical lead for Machine Learning and Applied AI projects at the Laboratory||Led Technology Transfer/Consulting Projects with Seagate (Ireland), Northern Telecom, Yamanouchi, Halifax Building Society among others on manufacturing fault prediction, cross selling and target marketing.|
|1998-2002||Co-founder and Chief Technology Officer, MINEit Software Limited/ Lumio Ltd.|
|1997-99||Lecturer in Computing Science, School of Information and Software Engineering, University of Ulster, Northern Ireland||Developed the curriculum for Artificial Intelligence/ Machine Learning|
|1999-2004||Senior Lecturer in Computing Science, School of Computing and Mathematics, University of Ulster, Northern Ireland||Played a pivotal role in the European Union recognizing the School’s Web Mining expertise through the establishing of PERSONET, a Marie Curie Centre of Training for European PhD students on Web Mining for Personalizing the Internet|
|2004-2012||Associate Professor, Department of Computer Science, University of Warwick, UK||Developed courses on Data Mining, Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence||Collaborative research projects in Data Mining, Intelligent Search in Archives and Digital Forensics|
|2012-present||Co-founder and Chief Data Scientist, Tatras Data|
|2018-present||Co-founder and Chief Data Scientist, Sabudh Foundation||Curating course content and delivering mentorship and training to Sabudh Fellows|
- Published over 90 academic papers in Data Mining and Web Personalization
- Program Co-Chair, ACM RecSys 2012
- Chaired a series of workshops at top AI venues in Web Personalization and Social Web Recommendation
- Edited a Special Issue of the ACM Transactions on Internet Technology, a book on Intelligent Techniques in Web Personalization and a Special Section of the Communications of the ACM on Personalization using Web Mining
- Regular Reviewer for ACM and IEEE
- Delivered Tutorials at academic conferences on Web Intelligence and Knowledge Discovery Standards