- School School of Law
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Urmi Gupta has completed her M.Phil. in International Relations from the Centre for International Politics, Organization and Disarmament (CIPOD), Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi and is presently pursuing her Ph.D. from the same department. Her academic inquiry in International Relations deals with questioning the masculine and hegemonic character of the subject. This has pushed her to look into topics of gender, sexuality and human rights, often overlooked in the discipline. Her Masters’ thesis was on questioning the masculine rhetoric of nationalism and its implication on women’s activism in India. Her current PhD work interrogates the absence of ‘sexual’ within the subject of sexual violence in conflict zones of Kashmir and Sri Lanka. She is adopting a Queer methodology to interrogate the heterosexual understanding of wartime sexual violence and look into male tortured bodies and trans/queer sexual violence. She has past teaching experience in JNU, New Delhi. She aims to enable critical thinking among her students and help them to actively engage in independent research.
- Graduation In: B.A (Political Science)
- Graduation From: Miranda House, University of Delhi
- Graduation Year: 2012
- Post Graduation In: M.A DLB (Diplomacy, Law, Business) in International Relations
- Post Graduation From: Jindal School of International Affairs, O.P Jindal Global University
- Post Graduation Year: 2014
- Post Graduation In: M.Phil. in International Politics
- Post Graduation From: Jawaharlal Nehru University
- Post Graduation Year: 2016
- Doctorate In: Ph.D. in International Politics
- Doctorate From: Jawaharlal Nehru University
- Doctorate Year: contd.
|From - To (Year)||Designation & Organization|
|April 2019- December 2019||Worked as Teaching Assistant at Jawaharlal Nehru University|
|November-December 2018||Worked at Centre for Policy Research at New Delhi|
|January-May 2016||Worked as Research Assistant at International Institute of Higher Education Research and Capacity Building, O.P Jindal Global University, Haryana|
|August- December 2015||Worked as Research Assistant at Oval Observer Foundation, New Delhi|
|January-March 2014||Interned at the National Mission for Empowerment of Women, Ministry of Women and Child, New Delhi|
|May- July 2013||Interned at Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative, New Delhi|
- Negotiation and Collaboration: China-India Institute for Law, Policy, and Negotiation at Renmin and Jindal University. Supported by the Center for Global Negotiation, O.P Jindal Global University.
- 1st Young Scholar’s Conference, New Delhi 2018: ‘Why do we need a break from terrorism: Seeking alternative discourses in security’.
- CEEISA- ISA Conference, Belgrade 2019: ‘An Ailing European Union in the age of Populist Anxiety: Can Human Rights offer a solution?
- ISA Asia Pacific Conference, Singapore 2019: ‘Women of Partition: Revisiting Death, Honor and Identity in South Asia through Regional Cinema.
- NTA-NET Qualified in the subject of Political Science.
- Gupta, Urmi. 2019. “Why do we need a break from terrorism: seeking an alternative articulation of security.” Studies in Indian Place Names (UGC Care), 40(56): 1745-1758.
- Accepted book chapter: Re-Masculinization and the Exclusion of Women, Trans, and Queer People from War Discourse in Kashmir in Haley Duschinski, Mona Bhan, and Cabeiri Robinson (eds.) Palgrave Handbook of New Directions in Kashmir Studies (Expected September 2021).
Policy Papers and Reports:
- Primary contributor to State Higher Education Plan of Haryana, Dept. of Higher Education, Govt. of Haryana in collaboration with International Institute for Higher Education & Capacity Building (IIHEd), O. P. Jindal Global University (JGU), 2016
- Primary contributor to PWESCR Report on Gender Monitoring of New Development Bank Project: Major District Roads, Madhya Pradesh, India, 2019.