Among all the other streams of Engineering, Computer Science Engineering is one of the trending subjects among the 12th board exam takers. Reason? Of course, it’s the job prospect globally. However, pursuing CSE Engineering is not an intelligent idea just because others are pursuing it.
You need to know about your capabilities before you jump to the conclusion of selecting the lucrative stream of CSE Engineering education.
When you choose the stream, you should have computer science basic knowledge and need to know all about Computer Science and Engineering so that you can be sure that you are taking up the right decision.
That is the perfect reason why today we are going to give a detailed guide about computer science engineering so that you can gain in-depth knowledge about the same.
What is Computer Science Engineering?
CSE engineering comprises the basic knowledge of computer programming and networking. The computer science engineering course will give ample knowledge about the implementation, design and management of the entire information system in hardware and software aspects.
What Does CSE engineering Cover?
As the name suggests, computer science engineering is a study that encompasses the theory of computation and the design and implementation of computational systems. This is a course which is offered all over the globe in the best of the technical institutions and a student can do graduation as well as post-graduation degrees.
As part of the computer science and engineering programme, students learn about developing hardware and software systems for computers and gain ample knowledge of communication systems and other similar devices. This is also one of the reasons why CSE engineering graduates are best suited for robotics research.
Eligibility Criteria for CSE engineering
In the case of undergraduate admission
In the case of the UG programme, the students should have passed their Higher Secondary examination from CBSE or any other equivalent board with the core subjects as physics chemistry, and mathematics. The selection is done based on calculating the aggregate marks which should match the cut-off criteria. In some cases, National level entrance tests are done to choose the best of the students who are eligible to enroll in this course.
In the case of postgraduate admission
The Aspiring Candidate should have a BTech degree from a well-recognized University and the percentile should be matching the criteria. Also, there are exams like GATE which are conducted to find out the eligible students who can get enrolled in the MTech course.
Scope of Computer Science Engineering?
The scope of computer science engineering is vast because:
- Need for new devices and software: With the advancement of technology, the world is paralyzed without innovative devices coming up. That is the reason why there will be the need for immense manpower who are skilled in the field of computer science.
- IT hubs require experts: With every passing date, the number of software companies and IT hubs like Silicon Valley is increasing, and therefore there is an increasing demand for skilled professionals and CSE experts.
- Experts required for cloud computing: With the trending concepts like cloud computing, the future technologies are depending on it and most of the companies are looking for a specialist who can hand give the entire segment of cloud computing and help in the progression of the business.
- Job in telecommunications: With the Rise in digitalization, telecommunication systems are depending on computer services and that is the reason why computer engineers are employed in this field.
- Transportation services: With the resurfacing of the GPS services transportation services are in dire need of computer science engineers.
- The manufacturing unit of computers: Needless to say, no one other than the computer science engineers will know how to build computers in the best possible manner. There is a reason why most of the major Fortune 500 computer manufacturing companies are looking forward to hiring more and more efficient computer science engineers.
Computer Science Engineering: Facts You Should Know
Did you know that in accordance to the US Bureau of labor statistics right now computer science engineers are holding onto about 79000 jobs in the USA which means that of about 1.5 million jobs which are held by the engineers 5.3 % are taken up by computer engineers alone?
Here are the names of some of the major companies which have hired computer science engineers:
- Sun Microsystems
- Texas Instruments
- Merrill Lynch & Co
Common Subjects Covered in CSE Engineering
- Cloud computing- It is the system of using a disconnected network of remote servers on the internet and binding them together to store manage and process the data rather than on a desktop for a personal computer or even a local server so that the data becomes Invincible.
- Computer Architecture and Organisation– It is the study of the internal working mechanism of the computers as well as the implementation of the entire computer system. It can also be termed as learning the construction of the inner structure of computers.
- Database management systems- It is a course about the kind of software that is responsible for the storage and retrieval of data in the computer system. It is also responsible for regular updates of the data for the users.
- Design and analysis of algorithms- It helps you learn about how algorithms are to be designed to solve every kind of problem in the branch of Computer Science and information technology.
- Unix programming- It is a study about one of the most popular operating systems which were first developed in 1960 and have been upgraded ever since. It helps the students in learning the essence of multitasking.
- Compiler design- This helps in making the students learn about the importance of a compiler and helps in designing the same so that it can detect the error and also rectify it in the computer system.
- Computer networks- This study is all about how the world of networking works and how it helps in the storage of data in various segments. It is one of the most essential topics of study and consists of theoretical as well as practical approaches.
- Data structure and algorithm- This is a structural study of computers and it comprises a special format that is used for organizing and storing data. It helps the students in learning about how the data is to be structured and designed to solve a specific issue.
- Distributing computing systems- This is one of the major concepts in the world of computer science and engineering and it refers to numerous computer systems working in sync on a single platform with the help of networking.
- Software testing- This is a study about a procedure which is used to compute over the functionality of any software application to test whether the software is capable of meeting the specific requirements or not, and if not what are the defects the route to be rectified to enhance the quality of the software.
Career Options after CSE engineering
- Software engineer- It is the kind of job role in which the person has to apply the basic knowledge of computer science engineering to design develop manage and implement computer software that can be used for problem-solving in the field of Information Technology. The starting salary of any software engineer can range from INR 4 lakh to 5 lakh.
- IT administrator- Also known as the system administrator he or she has the job responsibility to configure and achieve the computer systems so that all the multi-user computers can remain upgraded. The starting salary of an IT administrator is INR 2 lakh to 2.5 lacs.
- Mobile application developer- The job role of the mobile application developer is to create software that is compatible with smaller platforms like mobiles so that the users can gain access to it whenever and wherever they like. The starting salary of any mobile application developer is 3.5 lakhs to 4.5 lakhs INR.
- Software tester- As the name suggests the main work of the software tester is to keep keen supervision over the software that is being created every day so that there is a quality check over them. Starting salary of the software tester are from INR 2 lakh to 3 lakh.
The field of CSE engineering has some of the greatest advantages like having great pay, innovative and challenging working patterns, and constantly learning new things.
But like every other stream, there are several cons as well, like the work can be monotonous sometimes, and all other times there can be long and tiring hours of work. Computer science and engineering is one of those without which the world of academics and industry would have crashed down. Needless to say, it is very popular among youngsters.